Black Swan Green: The Movie
I’m pretty sure this idea was brought up in class once, but I think Black Swan Green would make a great movie. Not only is coming of age a pretty popular music genre, but Black Swan Green also has a lot of elements that could make it stand out. It’s nostalgic (so much that I feel nostalgic for a time and place I’ve never even existed) and David Mitchell’s portrayal of Jason’s inner conscience could translate in a really cool way with Hangman, Unborn Twin, and Maggot being voices that Jason hears throughout his day. Also, the Hero’s Journey is also prevalent in Black Swan Green, and many movies follow that monomyth, meaning a Black Swan Green movie could appeal to people who are drawn to that type of movie.
One big aspect of a good movie is a good soundtrack, and Black Swan Green has just that. Incorporating the songs as they appear in the book is what I would expect in this hypothetical movie, but just think about how they could reappear at different times throughout it. During Jason’s really happy day of getting invited to try out for a Spooks membership, he listens to Mr. Blue Sky over and over again. If this was incorporated subtly whenever the Spooks come up again in the movie, it could show the watcher how Jason is reminded of how he went back for Dean and the conflict he feels about checking on his friend vs. repairing his social standing. Also, music could be a big theme for Julia. She and music are really intertwined since Jason always notes hearing music from her room. Perhaps hearing one of Julia’s songs at a time in the movie that Jason seems especially lonely could show how much he misses her. Using music in this way also gives more perspective on his inner thoughts, whether intentional or not.
As we talked about in the chapter “Bridle Path,” the Hero’s Journey comes up, but what else in Black Swan Green follows it? Well, the book overall could be read from this perspective because Jason, the hero, would start out in his known world, with the phone call in his dad’s office being his Call to Adventure. I won’t go through all 17 steps, but I’ll list a couple: Jason’s Apotheosis/Ultimate Boon happen when he is at his lowest status at school. The next step, Refusal of Return, is represented by Jason making peace with his status and not caring about what happens to him. Like I said, utilizing the Hero’s Journey written in Black Swan Green could interest people who like other movies that follow the Hero’s Journey. Also, it’s interesting to analyze Black Swan Green through that perspective.
Not only is this book perfect movie material (in my opinion), but it’s nostalgic and could connect people from different generations. The Goose Fair in “Goose Fair” reminds me of our very own county fair. Jason’s disco night? Don’t get me started. There’s also so many opportunities for deep, emotional scenes which could make the movie all more relatable.
I’ve linked Mr. Mitchell’s Black Swan Green Playlist here!
Work Cited:
Mitchell, David. Black Swan Green. Random House Trade Paperbacks, 2007.
I would LOVE to watch this as a movie. A lot of other books in this class haven't really fit the movie template, but this one is perfect. I completely agree with all your points: the soundtrack is perfect, the scenery would make it feel real, and the emotions of the characters would be so perfect in movie format. I think it's really telling when a book already makes you want to see it as a movie because it shows that the descriptions really make us feel like we're there.
ReplyDeleteI really want someone to make a movie out of this now. I agree that the most compelling thing about the hypothetical Black Swan Green movie is its soundtrack. As I was reading, I found myself wishing that the songs Jason mentions would start playing while I was reading them. It's such a time-specific detail of the book that really puts you right there in middle school in the 80's with Jason, and it would really make for a great movie soundtrack.
ReplyDeleteThere are definitely moments in this novel that feel especially cinematic, and I agree that the "soundtrack" has a lot to do with this effect. The opening scene in particular, it's easy to picture with the title on the screen and the opening credits, while "Don't You Want Me" thumps out dead loud from the speakers, combined with Mum's "hoover" making its hum, as heard through the ceiling by Jason as he goes into his father's office and starts spinning around in the chair pretending it's the Millennium Falcon. And of course the climactic scene at the dance--the music playing constantly, the surprising plot twist with Floyd Chaceley's surprisingly huge brother, and yes the very cinematic first kiss with Holly Deblin. "Bridle Path" as you note is full of dramatic scenes and encounters while also echoing the structure of the hero's journey. "Spooks" could be a pretty dramatic scene, following Jason as he clumsily makes his way through the gardens.
ReplyDeleteYou'd better get working on this screenplay, Citlali. It sounds like you've got some great ideas for a cinematic adaptation! Salinger was famously opposed to any and all attempts to make _Catcher_ into a film, but David Mitchell allowed his seemingly "unfilmable" novel _Cloud Atlas_ to be adapted by the Wachowskis (it's ambitious, but really doesn't quite work), so he might be up for it!
Hi Citlali! I agree that Black Swan Green would make a very interesting movie. I also like your takes on the various songs that would be used as the soundtrack. I think having music from the book along with visuals would be really cool. Many people enjoy coming of age movies so I think it would be pretty popular as well. Great post!
ReplyDeleteI really do agree that this would make for a great movie adaptation! I honestly did not understand the importance of many of the songs until hearing them in class, and they serve such an great purpose in Black Swan Green's plot. I think one of the most important parts of movies is the sound design, and I think the book really does have an upper hand that most novels don't. Aside from the movie, the voices he hears, as you mentioned, would be super interesting to hear. In written form, it's not super easy to understand how the voices in Jason's head pressure him, and a more realistic depiction of it would make for a really compelling retelling. Hopefully it'll happen one day!
ReplyDeleteHi Citlali! I absoulety love the Coming-of-Age aspect of many modern movies and even older ones and how the trope is protrayed. The story has been taken in various ways with varying plots and characters who come to love or hate. Black Swan Green is textbook for I think a wonderful coming of age movie with the visuals of the novel being produced onto the screen. The soundtrack of these movie is one of the most central parts as well, most times invoking nostaglia or virality from the songs used. I hope a studio takes this novel up for movie adaptation. Great post!
ReplyDelete